Hip Licks is designed to help musicians
develop fluency in the jazz language by
providing mainstream jazz vocabulary
(swing/bop/post-bop) that nails the changes
and lays great on their instrument.
Think of Hip Licks as a musical reference
book, like a dictionary of great licks in all
twelve keys, available when you need it. You
can open the book to any page and just start
Need something that will help you sound like a
total pro while playing over the most
challenging keys, like: C#, F# or B? Hip Licks
is an indispensable resource that can
immediately show you how a professional
player would approach those tough keys and
• 168 Hip Licks - Each lick is unique and
customized for each key, based on the best
timbre, register and playability on the horn.
The C7 lick is different than the B7 lick, which
is different than the Bb7 lick, etc.
• Idiomatic Construction (Sax Version) -
Alto and Tenor read the same written part,
while the rhythm section is recorded in two
different keys, ensuring that each lick lays
perfectly on all saxophones.
• Slow Tempo and Fast Tempo Play-Along
CDs are included, providing over four hours
• Hip Licks Nail the Most Popular Chord
- Major 7th, Dominant 7th, Dominant 7b9,
Minor 7th, Minor 7b5, and Diminished 7th and
Augmented 7th Chords
- ii-7 / V7 / I Major (two and four-measure
- ii-7b5 / V7b9 / i Minor (two and four-measure
- Parallel Major to Minor Progressions
- ii- ii-Maj7 / ii-7 V7 / I Maj7 (ii-7 / V7 / I Maj7
with moving 7ths)
• Modular Design - The licks are
self-contained, easily taken out of the book to
be used in a wide variety of songs.
• Interactive Call and Response Format -
perfect for ear-training and developing your
musical memory. Each lick is played twice in a
row on the Play-Along CDs, so you can hear
the lick and then immediately play along.
• Twelve Key Approach - Every CD track
takes you through all twelve keys.
• Rhythm section only tracks - let you
experiment with your own variations on the
licks and improvise over a wide variety of
harmonic settings. These tracks are also
excellent backgrounds for practicing all of your
chords and scales.
• Technique Builder - Use Hip Licks as part
of your daily practice routine to dramatically
increase your technical command of your